Pages

In my point of view

I've never realized how much importance I give to education until now. 

I did not attend the best Universities in the whole world, growing up. But to me, they were the perfect institutions that could have possibly honed me. They were the perfect ones to somehow be able to equip me with the real world emotionally and professionally. 

The first time I entered elbi, I instantly felt I was home. Just everything about it is intellectually engaging - from the environment, ambiance and most especially the people.

There were tough times, I know. Times when I felt my body was about to give up. But only because of piled-up requirements - consequences of a sloppy time management. BUT never was I ever tired of studying - of learning. By each requirement I was able to accomplish, with each hour I spent past my bedtime and away from friends, there was never an instance when I thought what I was doing's just plain stupid and unnecessary to give my brain something to keep its juices flowing.

Today, the harsh reality of the education system here in the Philippines slapped me flat on the face with an extra kick on the side.

To earn the units I still lack for MedSchool, I had to enroll for summer classes this month until next. To keep long story short, I happen to enroll at this school because the admission for summer classes on all other Universities that offers the courses I need is already closed (sorry, it never occurred to me that most schools' summer admissions usually runs for 2-3 days only). 

The doubts started creeping in last week while inquiring about the courses. As I was about to pay tuition to register, I asked the admissions' office regarding the schedule of my class on Human Anatomy and Physiology. I was informed over the phone, during the assessment of requirements and up until filling-up the registration form that yes, there will be an Anat&Physio course offered this summer, but I just can't help but wonder why it is not on schedule yet. So, I was told I just have to look for a certain doctor who happens to teach that subject. I went looking for him/her on the whole building, but encountered him/her not. So, I went on the accounting to register the subjects, taking the word of the school officials that there will really be a summer offering of the courses I need. On assessment of fees, I had no other reaction but shock. The miscellaneous and other fees were higher than the actual tuition. Pambihira namang talaga. Hindi ba nila alam na bawal yun? 

And as with all other bad odors, it moves in slowly from the source to where you're situated until you can no longer hide the fact that you're smelling it and you can't stand the stench. 

So, with the only schedule I had, I went yesterday to attend our supposedly first meeting for microbiology. On arrival, the professor's perplexed rants welcomed me. The schedule posted on the offices is different from the one she has. She made me sit in class, regardless. No introductions, no feel-good warm-up discussion of the course outline, or what-have-you, we instantly started with exercise 1 - we had to draw the compound microscope, label it and define each part. That exercise was supposedly just right; but on a first day? Come on!  PLUS, we had tons of assignments which includes the naming of 50 microbiologists and 50 parasitologists and give all their major contributions. Sinasabi ko na nga ba kalokohan to. Ano ako highschool student na bibigyan lang ng assignment for the sake na may mailagay sa column ng 'Assignments'? At sa dinami-dami nang pwedeng ibigay bakit yung isang bagay pa na wala naman akong matututunan? Aanhin ko yan? Aanhin mo din yan? For sure maski ikaw hindi mo rin naman kilala lahat ng nailista ko diyan. But, with all these, I still ended up doing it.

Our first meeting ended with us, students finally getting her name AND a final head count of 6 students (3 for each course - mcb and zoo).

Though tired as I was, I still managed to finish all the assignments she required. I started doing it at 7 in the evening and found myself struggling to finish at about half past 12 midnight. It was that bad looooong.

Then comes the second day...

I guess the worse is yet to come should have been the warning sign at the school gate today. We started discussion (finally!) but still about the microscope. We ran through the different types, parts, uses, terms in relation to it but she seemed to forgot the most important thing that should be taught in any biology-related  class, let alone a laboratory - HOW TO USE IT. No kidding, some were clueless about the parts, can't even explain it through their own words AND don't know the basics on how to handle a microscope. No wonder the microscopes on their laboratory are close to being trash. They do not teach students on its proper handling. I bet the microscopes at IBS and IC in elbi are waaaaay older and yet all of it can still function better than the ones they have. Ever heard of equipping the technical knowledge with the practical one? No? So, I've figured.

And here is today's highlight: we did 4 exercises today! FOUR! F-O-U-R FOU-freaking-R! Any sane person will know that 4 exercises can never be done in one meeting unless one is planning to stay until forever, and not to mention totally unfair.

There are lots of teachers (or professors, for that matter) that equate teaching with slide reading and providing requirements just for the sake of having something tangible to bring home from class. They never read it, believe me. They often just base the grades on how many pages were written at and usually, based on the neatness of the assignment. My professor this summer was of no exemption.

It's just saddening to know that these privately-taught kids are being grounded this way and they don't seem to care at all. I've attended private institutions as well BUT I've never had professors this lazy that it's already sickening. How can one student not mind not getting the learning his/her's money's worth? How can they stand that their parents are working SO hard and yet here they are wasting preciously-earned money in an institution that can't even get them intellectually motivated? And despite all these these students still want to get all the excuse there is to not attend any class. Unbelievable. Totally unacceptable.

My heart is crying for those students who actually care - for those who want to have better options but are just not getting it; the parents who are dreaming of a brighter future ahead - thus leaving everything up to the future generation of their lineage; future employers - for having to deal with unqualified employees partly because of being victims of circumstances and mainly because of their lack of tenacity to learn; and most of all to our country - how can it improve and prosper if the future generation is just slacking off and not building dreams and actually living it?

Then again, I may have been just blessed to be able to attend schools of good caliber, shielding me away from the knowledge of these kinds of practice. For that I have my parents to thank.

Well, so much for Jose Rizal's belief and faith in the Filipino youth
and all its capabilities and prowess. 
Our government should really have a well-grounded education system. Without it, our fight for improvement is just an aimless arrow shot.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © everyday in every way. Template created by Volverene from Templates Block
WP by Simply WP | Solitaire Online